Monday, October 17, 2011

VIVA ITALIA!

I learned a lot over the last week. First lesson was that I understand Hamlet WAY better the second time around (read it first in high school). I'm keeping it in my purse so I can read a couple pages whenever the opportunity strikes, it's definitely not something I can digest in one sitting.
Now the second lesson is way more important than the first and I learned it from my mother last night.
Over the week I had eaten some real garbage. Many days I didn't eat anything until dinner and then at dinner I put away half a pizza myself! WOW! But then last night I visited my Mom in New Hampshire. It was another day I hadn't eaten anything all day. We made chicken parm (I know what you're thinking, but bear with me) and I noticed the cultural things my Mom has held on to that keep her healthy. Listed below.
-She used everything fresh. Everything was bright, colorful, and fragrant. She used WHOLE foods.
-She poured herself a glass of wine before she started cooking. Just A glass. And she slowly sipped and savored while she cooked.
-She made a SALAD. Salad has been my enemy for years. But I'm seeing now that by starting her meal with a salad she was guaranteeing she'd get her vegetables and not overindulge in the carby stuff.
-She talked while we ate, a lot. Each bite was punctuated by a story or a question. Not only was she getting in her chitchat time with me, she was controlling how quickly she ate.
-She drank water while she ate.
 
So while I was there with her I was basically her shadow and I mimicked everything she did. And you know what? Despite not having eaten all day, and having a plate in front of me of pasta, chicken, cheese, and garlic bread- I ate my salad, and then hardly made a dent in my plate of carb hell. And the couple of bites I took I ENJOYED.
 
So I guess the lesson is that eating can be an experience. The preparation is almost like foreplay and makes the main event that much better. Needless to say I left with some of her homemade caesar dressing and croutons (I plan on picking up some lettuce on the way home) as well as calzones, chicken, and some roasted potatoes. My experiment for the week- If I'm going to eat I'm going to enjoy and savor every moment.
 
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment