Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Blessing in Disguise

The storm that ripped through New Hampshire and Massachusetts over the weekend has left a lot of people cold and bored. Many are still without power. Many of the people that are without power are starting to find better ways to use their time. Many of my coworkers are talking about all the reading they've done, household tasks they've accomplished, and undistracted conversations they've had with their families. What seemed like a disaster at first has actually become a positive thing for many people.
 
I did not lose power. Not even a flicker. Living in a city with few trees I rarely lose power.
 
But I did have my own blessing in disguise.
 
My microwave broke. Just stopped working. And I won't have the money to buy a new one for a few weeks. Why is that good? Because microwaves exist to make food easy and fast. Often I find myself throwing something in the microwave not because I'm hungry, but because I'm bored. The joy of cooking exclusively with a stove/oven? You probably won't cook something unless you really really want it, because frankly it takes a lot of work! So I find myself eating only when I'm TRULY hungry- and it turns out that's a lot less often than I used to think.
 
So here's to living old school!

3 comments:

  1. Whoopee! I get to be your 1st follower. Anxious to see were your bucket list takes you. Loved your letter to Miz.

    There is always a silver lining, isn't there? Stay warm. Man, those pics on the news of the storm looked brutal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many times in life where something that SEEMS to be unfortunate turns out to be a positive change. Thanks for reminding me to look for those!

    And I too loved your letter to MizFit. Good luck with the blog!

    --Crabby McSlacker of Cranky Fitness (currently logged in under another I.D. and too lazy to re-log in with my blog name).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck with your bucket list! I'm currently working on my own online bucket list on Wanderable - where we share tips and ideas with other people. I've basically managed to roughly plan my trips for my next 5 years using this site! :P

    ReplyDelete